Thursday, July 1, 2010

Dalton Highway


Here's a little catch up on a trip that happened last year but, I just never got around to getting some pictures up from it. I ended up driving the Dalton Highway on two occasions last year. Definitely a remote portion of the state with bugs so bad in the summer time that you just start humming the song of mosquitos after a while. A road where one definitely needs a couple extra spare tires and a good engine. 440 miles of dirt road and any sort of mechanical help is few and far between. As far as I'm concerned, it is top tier on the list of places I like to escape to in the AK. Few people and remote! I spent a total of 10 days up north, fishing and whatnot. I hunted Dall Sheep in 2004 up here as well. The caribou are seasonal visitors along the Dalton and are quite hit or miss but when they are there, they are there in the thousands. Sheep are plentiful but, the 5 miles corridor for rifles is pretty rough on foot but, we managed. An awesome road. Atigun pass is spectacular and the Lake Trout in Gailbraith Lake are hungry!

No comments: